Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 16:49:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        (Christian Weisgerber) <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Sound card?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (actually, it was on 31-May-99),
the great prophet Christian Weisgerber once wrote:
> I'm considering adding a sound card to my FreeBSD/i386 box. Now, I know
> roughly zilch about sound cards. There are absurd numbers of different
> models, with similar names, almost identical technical data, different
> chipsets, product lifetimes of a few months at most, and varying support
> throughout the operating system world.
>
> For example, opening up the latest leaflet from a local computer chain
> store, I see:
>
> Soundblaster 16 PnP Value   ISA, Vibra 16XV
> Soundblaster PCI 64V        PCI, Ensoniq
> Soundblaster 16 PCI         PCI, Ensoniq 1373
> Soundblaster PCI 128        PCI, Creative 5507
> Soundblaster Live! Value    PCI, EMU 10K1
> Soundblaster Live!          PCI, EMU 10K1
>
> The latter two are a bit expensive.
>
> Looking at /sys/i386/isa/{snd/CARDS,sound/Readme.cards}, it appears that
> of all these only the "SoundBlaster 16 PnP Value" is supported. In fact,
> there seem to be no supported PCI sound cards at all!?
>
> Can anybody recommend an inexpensive, not too trashy sound card, that is
> supported under FreeBSD and still available on the market? (I'm asking
> for a lot, ain't I?)

Take a look at OSS -- the Open Sound system

http://www.opensound.com/

It is a commercial sound driver that supports many systems, including
FreeBSD.  However it is quite inexpensive ($20) and gives you free updates
and techsupport through the year 2003 (now that's what I call service!)
It is extremely easy to configure (in fact, it pretty much auto-configures
itself) and supports a whole host of sound cards, including many PCI
cards.  It also supports the "special features" of many sound cards, such
as the Wavetable chips on many modern sound cards.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>                           | PGP: Your
*NEW* WWW HomePage: http://more.at/dburr/ ICQ #16997506 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.