Date:      Fri, 30 May 2008 13:18:40 +0300
From:      "Niki Denev" <nike_d@cytexbg.com>
To:        Rudy <crapsh@monkeybrains.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: carp and vlan at the same time?

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Rudy <crapsh@monkeybrains.net> wrote:
> Niki Denev wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently using carp over VLANs over lagg and if works without
>> problems.
>> So I think you should have no problems running carp over vlan interfaces.
>
> Could you send me a sample configuration or point me to a resource that
> covers carp over vlans?
>
> I'm interested in setting up a lagg as well... can you have your lagg
> devices (em0 and em1 for instance) plug into different cisco switches and
> then have those switches connected together?
>
> Thanks for you help!
> Rudy

There is nothing special about carp over vlans, and something like
this should work :

  cloned_interfaces="lagg0 vlan2 carp2"

  ifconfig_em0="up"
  ifconfig_em1="up"
  ifconfig_lagg0="laggport em0 laggport em1 laggproto failover up"

  ifconfig_vlan2="vlan 2 vlandev lagg0"
  ipv4_addrs_vlan2="192.168.0.2/24"
  ifconfig_carp2="vhid 1 pass PASS advskew 0 192.168.0.1/24 up"

About using lagg to two different switches. Yes, you can do that, and
this is the way I use it, but note that
in this setup you must use "proto failover". lacp/load-balancing modes
won't work.

Also note that when using vlans over lagg you must NOT use the
ifX.vlanY interface name style because of
the problem that i mentioned here, in this thread :
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2008-May/018126.html

P.S.: I'm including the list in my reply.

Regards,
Niki