Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:38:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        David.Johnston@vviuh221.vvi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks for the good book and newbie question ...

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, David Johnston wrote:

%
% Hi Again FreeBSD:
%
% > UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1, second Edition.
%
% I wrote my first client/server sub-system using the book's examples. It is so cool!
%
% Now I need to ask the occasional question. Is there a better freebsd mail
% list for these type of questions? The one I have now is the following:
%
% When I kill the server then immediately restart it then bind gives "bind
% error: Address already in use". But if I wait for about 1 minute then I can
% start the server up again. How do I make it such that bind will "figure it
% out" right away, or (put another way) why can't bind figure out that the
% address and port are no longer in use?
%

The command "ndc" may be of help to you. take a look at it's manpage.

./Bill

  William  J. Melanson        CyberGate, Inc. | e.spire Communications
  Sr Network Controller       www.gate.net ---- www.espire.net
  Network Operations Center   Phone: (954) 334-8080
  finger wjm@gate.net         PGP public key