Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 05:48:50 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), koshy@india.hp.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General policy on trademark violations

> I think that one of our biggest problems here is the "affiliation"
> with Walnut Creek, the legalese people see a company that they can
> sue for real money. Remember the requests to remove parts of our

Actually, we've never even come close to being sued for money (or even
threatened with such) during any of these instances.  In each and
every case, it's been some bored, by-the-book lawyer saying he's
representing client blah-blah's trademark interests and would we
please cease and desist from saying blah-diddy-blah on our FTP site.
They don't want money, they're just playing whack-a-mole here with
"trademark violations" and ftp.cdrom.com is a rather large and obvious
mole to go after on the net, it doesn't exactly take an Einstein to
find us!

Our biggest problem...  Heh..  You want to know our "biggest problem?"
It's the "affiliation" with ftp.cdrom.com and the bazillion search
engines out there empowering lawyers like Hasbro's daily in finding
"boggle violations" with a few trivial keystrokes.  So now what?
Would you then propose that we vacate our own flagship machine in
order to prevent such problems in the future?  Sure, why not, I'll bet
the Linux folks would be more than happy to occupy the space we
currently take up - heck, that'd free an entire 8GB archive slice for
all kinds of new kernels and things!  :-) :-)

					Jordan