Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2002 07:51:41 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Subject:   Re: the X Window System / X Windows (was Re: typo in  FreeBSD-SA-02:27.rc)

In message <20020601040022.GA25651@madman.nectar.cc>, "Jacques A.
Vidrine" writ
es:
> On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:19:37AM -0500, Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> > So, Jacques accidentally touched the "s" key, is it really
> > worth complaining about?
>
> Some people actually prefer to use the term ``X Windows'' just to
> annoy pedants.  I'm not one of them, though. :-)  I actually prefer
> ``the X Window System'' in text, but tend to verbalize that as ``X
> Windows'' -- I guess that is how it got there.

I think that most people do.  For example in writing I call it "X"
while speaking I will say "X Windows."  Why, most people that are in
the IT business that I speak to in person are not what I would consider
true techies and therefore would not understand just X or would look at
me funny when I say X Window System, causing the conversation to go off
onto a tangent, something I cannot afford on my busy schedule.

--
Cheers,                          Phone:  250-387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  250-387-5766