Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 15:31:08 -0500
From:      lambert@cswnet.com
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Creating a shell server

Hi,

I'm about to replace my aging www/shell/private ftp Linux server with a new 3.2-STABLE machine.  I didn't setup the current Linux server so I'm not sure what logic went into the choice of applications that are currently installed.

I haven't seen any of my users actively using emacs but every college kid taking a *ix class winds up running it at least once.  I, personally, have never used it.  The emacs port wants XFree86 installed.  It is not currently installed on my new box due to the KISS protocol.  Do I want to add another 40MB of bloat just to enable a little used editor/environment that also fits into the bloatware category?  Is it safe to have X installed on a public access system?  Is emacs safe in these circumstances?

--
Scott Lambert
lambert@warped.cswnet.com