Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:10:47 +0800
From:      Rong-En Fan <rafan@infor.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   sk(4), 3C940 unknown reason hang

[I'm not on list, so please CC me thanks]

Hi,

It is a 4.10-RELEASE-p2 on IBM e225 (Dual P3-1G) and have a 3COM
3C940 installed on. Since it's installed one year ago, it has
3 or 4 times unknown reason network hang (no console messages)
and I have changed 3C940 to another one. The situation is still
the same. The solution is just `ifconfig down up' then sk(4)
goes back to work. It's our main nfs server and this problem
really annoying. I look at the cvsweb, seems no major problem
fix for RELENG_4 (HEAD fixs a LOR, and I suppose it's only for
5.x and HEAD). Is there any known problems? (I can't find one
similar to me on -net and -stable).

The recently once happened this morning, according to mrtg,
it has a high network traffic (both in and out). Not sure
if it is related.

Here is the dmesg:

skc0: <3Com 3C940 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x2100-0x21ff mem
0xfeb78000-0xfeb7bfff irq 5 at device 9.0 on pci0
skc0: 3Com Gigabit NIC (3C2000)
sk0: <Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. Yukon> on skc0
sk0: Ethernet address: 00:0a:5e:19:b6:3c

Any suggestion and kernel debugging I would like to try.

Regards,
Rong-En Fan