Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 01:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: XFree86 require upgrade 2.1.7 -> 2.2?

The 2.1.6 XFree86 will work fine with 2.1.7, it's not a problem
security-wise.  And I feel I have to point out that although nothing
exciting is happening with 2.1.7, that doesn't mean it's dead.  Bug fixes
still appear, and the server that I run with it is robust and fast and a
pleasure to work with.

But then, I think excitement is the last thing a server OS needs.  :)

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Jeff Roberts wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have recently been informed that, because the XFree86 3.2
> that came with my 2.1.7-RELEASE doesn't work with my Trident ProVidia 9685
> (even at generic VGA settings -- just turns the monitor off), I have to
> upgrade to the 3.2A beta if I want a working system (text-mode UNIX on a
> single-user system is about as useful as MS-DOS to me).
>
> I checked the d/l sites, and the only FreeBSD distributions for 3.2A are
> for 2.1.6 and 2.2 .  Since my Walnut Creek 2.1.7 claims to be a security
> release (fixing the problems in 2.1.6), the 2.1.6 version doesn't sound
> like an option -- which leaves me with 2.2 .  I just bought 2.1.7 about a
> month ago, and I'm not very happy about having to buy or download
> another whole system and store it on my hard drive because there won't
> be any more support for my brand-new, obsolete 2.1.7 . (It also seems a
> bit cheesy for Walnut Creek to sell me, someone new to FreeBSD, an
> operating system for $45 that is basically dead in the water.)
>
> If I want to be able to use 3.2A or higher XFree86 on FreeBSD, am I going
> to have to move to 2.2 ?  What would that entail?  A full upgrade?
> Should I just return the CD and ask for my money back?
>
> Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

>     Jeff Roberts >>>>  jroberts@ashland.edu  <<<<  strider@acm.org

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."