Date:      Wed, 19 May 2004 18:05:23 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Jean-Francois Gobin <gobin@gobinjf.be>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 4.9 on AlphaServer 1000a/400

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:07:44PM +0200, Jean-Francois Gobin wrote:
> Hmmmm ...
>
> Can you compare the geometry values as given by Redhat and by the
> partitionning tool of freebsd ?

This is not a PC => no Geomtry hassles.

> On Tue, 18 May 2004, M Gollihue wrote:
>
> > Hello, all!
> >
> > I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.9 on an AlphaServer 1000a/400/256Mb. It
> > gets through the initial configuration just fine, however, upon getting to
> > the place where it attempts to download from FTP...it downloads the first 10
> > blocks of the distribution then stops. The error message on VTY2 says
> > "Attempt to write beyond the end of the drive."

Either your partition really is larger than the drive or there are
issues with your mylex.

> > I have a Mylex 960 card with two 9Gb drives attached, partitioned 6Gb
> > data/1Gb swap/1Gb temp. Anyone else experience this problem? The system
> > works fine under Red Hat.

AFAIK the 960 can't handle drives with sizes greater than 8G and
some firmware revisions even with drives >2G, but I'm not shure with it.
Have this drives ever been in use with this controller?

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de