Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:14:11 -0800
From:      Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: end-user whines about 2.10

>>   o i can't seem to find a biff for the panel.  inbox monitor
>>     seems to have disappeared or something, and addtopanel offers
>>     nothing obvious to replace it.
> This is documented in the GNOME 2.10 release notes.  I'm now using
> mail/mail-notification as a replacement, but it is not as real-time as
> the applet used to be.

i can start and configure it, but nothing appears in the
panel.  and with 500 msgs a day, popups i just don't need.

>>   o the wireless applet seems to have changed to some sort of
>>     useless flashing pixmap of a screen.  where did the signal
>>     strength meter, an ever so useful device, go?
> It's a purple icon next to the flashing monitors.

ack.  'cept the signal strength is not really readable, see
<http://rip.psg.com/~randy/signal.jpg>; where i can not see how
it tells me the strength, according to whoppens when i click
it, is 66%.

and how to get rid of those silly monitors?  also, the
preferences/configure option seems not to work, "The interface
does not exist," when indeed ath0 does and shows on those
lovely flashing monitors.

>>   o i still have not figured out how to get my own separate
>>     custom application menu back.  see just to the right of the
>>     main menu foot in
>>        <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/panel.jpg>;
>>     for my 2.8 panel section.  sorry, i could not figure out how
>>     to take a screenshot while the hierarchic menu folder was
>>     open.
> I just create custom drawers, and that works fine in GNOME 2.10.

maybe if you don't have a complex hierarchy of them and need to
label each drawer so you know what you're doing.  and they're
screen sticky!

>> and totem now smacks me when i try to play a vcd, whining
>> "OSS device "/dev/dsp" is already in use by another program."
>> when nothing is using sound that i can see.
>>     # lsof> grep -i dsp
>>     # lsof /dev/dsp
> Check your gstreamer audio settings.

uh, against what?  and what should they be?  current settings
are in <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/gstreamer.jpg>.

whine whine whine :-)

randy