Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 21:52:24 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>, "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
[ ... the ".NET" trademark issue ... ]
> Their failure to list
> them, along with their conspicuous failure to treat them as such in every
> other context I've examined, implies that they do not consider them
> trademarks and do not plan to defend them as such.

Or maybe it means you can't see the little symbol to the right of
the "t" in "Net" in this GIF:

	http://www.passportimages.com/1033/PassportLogo140x44.gif

???

> > The incomplete registration shows their clear
> > intent, in any case.
>
> If they were established as common-law trademarks, they wouldn't need to
> show intent.

Common law trademarks do not magically appear by fiat.

In additiona, registration conveys a number of protections which
are not otherwise available, as well as a number of legal remedies.

>  And only one attempt to register a trademark is being made,
> for .NET as a typed drawing.  That application does not show prior or
> current commercial use of the mark.

Of course it doesn't.  Where do you think baby trademarks come
from in the first place?!?

> I could find no application for Passport.

Did you examine all 124 applications that appear to be outstanding
with the same dilligence you appear to have used in the examination
of the ".NET" GIF image trademark symbol to the right of the "t"?

-- Terry