Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 08:50:40 -0800
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Putting MD5 checksums on the web site

--==_Exmh_719035776P

If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> some time ago, Bruce added the MD5 checksums for the 4.7 ISOs to
> the release notes website (www/en/releases/4.7R/CHECKSUM-i386.MD5
> in the CVS repository).  I think this is a good idea that should
> be repeated for 5.0.  I could assemble the file easily enough from
> the various CHECKSUM.MD5 files for the different platforms by
> sampling the mirrors.

Just for the record, it was Murray who did this, not Bruce.  :-)

It's not an institutionalized policy, though I think it's a good idea.
(Personally, I like the thought of putting the checksums in the release
announcement.)

> However, I think it would be a better idea to have that file assembled
> and PGP-signed by the security-officer before adding it.

Signing by one of the release engineers or by the security-officer team
would be a Good Thing (TM).  If the RE team had a shared signing key, we
could use it for this, but we don't.  Maybe we should, but that's
another issue.

Cheers,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_719035776P