Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:14:18 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        haskell@freebsd.org
Subject:   lang/ghc build failure and possible workaround

On an early-June -CURRENT, ghc blows up pretty early with:

/usr/ports/lang/ghc/work/ghc-6.4.2-boot/bin/i386-unknown-freebsd/ghc-6.4.2 -M -optdep-f -optdep.depend  -osuf o    -H16m -O -I. -Iinclude -Rghc-timing -I../../../libraries -fglasgow-exts -no-recomp Compat/Directory.hs Compat/RawSystem.hs Distribution/Compat/FilePath.hs Distribution/Compat/ReadP.hs Distribution/Compiler.hs Distribution/GetOpt.hs Distribution/InstalledPackageInfo.hs Distribution/License.hs Distribution/Package.hs Distribution/ParseUtils.hs Distribution/Version.hs Language/Haskell/Extension.hs System/Directory/Internals.hs
gmake[3]: *** [depend] Segmentation fault: 11 (core dumped)

A hint shows up earlier in the 'configure' process, with:

checking for path to top of build tree...  /usr/ports/lang/ghc/work/ghc-6.4.2
checking version of ghc... Segmentation fault (core dumped)
unknown

I note that the bootstrap ghc is a FreeBSD 6 binary, and seems to link
to libc (.6) and libpthread (.2), so this may be an occurance of the
issues discussed on the -current list a few weeks back about
incompatibilities between the new libpthread and the old libc.

As a workaround, I libmap.conf'd libc.so.6 to libc.so.7 for
[ghc-6.4.2], and sent it off.  It seems to work, though at the moment
it's 56 minutes of CPU time into LiberateCase.hi, so I'm not sure if
it really works...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net