Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:08:40 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options PNPBIOS

--==_Exmh_-158748760P

> > Thanks.  After re-reading my orginal post, I wasn't very clear.  I
> > configured the BIOS for a PnP OS, meaning the BIOS should disable PnP
> > and leave the management to the OS.
>
> I understand it differently: setting PNP OS to YES in the BIOS means
> that the OS must be a PNP OS (ie able to work together with the PNP BIOS).

I believe that you are substantially correct.

> Can someone with more knowledge in this field than me confirm this please ?

Probably barely more, but still. This has bitten me with a couple of my
machines.

PNPOS=Yes in the BIOS means that the OS will allocate resources for the card,
and the BIOS doesn't need to bother.

PNPOS=No means that the OS won't do this, so the BIOS needs to do it.

FreeBSD is noy a "PNP OS", it's only "PnP-Aware". Best results are generally
obtained when setting PNPBIOS=No, and letting the BIOS allocate resources.

Problems are often noted when the BIOS doesn't contain this option, or when
the BIOS is "lazy" and doesn't actually allocate resources, even if this
option is set.

HTH.

AS

--==_Exmh_-158748760P