Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:37:10 -0600
From:      GB/DEV - Doug Poland <doug.poland@omniresources.com>
To:        'Cliff Sarginson' <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: 4.2R Installation problem -- Read Error

Cliff Sarginson said...

> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:55:37PM -0600, GB/DEV - Doug Poland wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just completed an install of 4.2-RELEASE on a Gateway 266
> > PII.  I went through the entire config and install without
> > a problem until it was time to remove the install CD and reboot.
> >
> > After the bios and vga boot info appears, I get a screen refresh
> > and
> >
> > Read error
> >
> > as the only message.  Sounds like a MBR problem?  Anyone have a
> > solution other than re-install?
> >
> A few people have had this problem.
> The boot loader on 4.2 seems to be jinxed under certain circumstances.
> I have been through this exhaustively..
> You have a choice:
>
> Choice 1: Select the standard mbr option as the boot method.
> Choice 2: Boot from CD or FD and load the newly installed
> kernel - then
>  install grub, which works very well and is simple as can be
>  to configure. Grub is in the ports.
>
> Good Luck
> Cliff

Thanks Cliff,

I've successfully installed grub on a boot floppy and am now
trying to install it on the HD.  However, I'm having a problem.

Grub info page says to specify the boot device

	grub: root (hd0,a)
	grub: setup (hd0)   	# installs to MBR
or
	grub: setup (hd0,a)	# installs to boot sector

So, am I writing to the MBR or boot sector?
Next, I see a file not found error, so, following
instructions I need

Later in OS specific install, info page says you
should use FreeBSD boot loader thusly...

     grub> root (hd0,a)

     grub> kernel /boot/loader

     grub> boot

how do I configure grub to do this automatically?

Thanks for the help,
Doug