Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 07:09:52 -0400
From:      "Brad Bates" <bab@icon.lal.ufl.edu>
To:        "Chuck Gibson" <cgibson@computershoppe.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD and NT rass

NT does not work like a UNIX PPP server, and unless
you are running the NT server (I assume your ISP runs it)
you probably will not get to connect like you expect.  NT's
remote access server uses a Microsoft flavor of PPP that
is designed to shelter the fragile folks who use Windows
95 and 3.11 from gory things like a login prompt on a black
screen.  They just call in and connect, and their logins are
in the dialog boxes in windows, which is then passed via
the abstraction layers to and through the OS and hardware.
Trying to get a login prompt from an NT system by just
calling via modem on a terminal screen will not work.  I have
not heard of anything that lets one do this from UNIX to NT,
only from NT or Windows to UNIX.

Has anyone done this out there?

Primary reasons -- TCP/IP is new to that world (sold as a
feature!); and logins and passwords are handled via windows
(usually dialog boxes) and passed within applications and/or
the OS using API calls.  See the MS resource kits and/or
the API specifications for more.

bab