Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:14:56 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>, nocturnal <nocturnal@swehack.se>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flaws in the ports system?

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 08:20:31PM -0400, Parv wrote:
> in message <435825F8.4020305@datacomm.ch>,
> wrote Benjamin Lutz thusly...
> >
> > - Searching. Personally, I strongly dislike make search because its
> >   way too verbose. Search results easily fill several screenfuls,
> >   and grepping it is not trivial. I've worked around this one by
> >   creating a tool that writes grep-able sub-indexes to disk in a
> >   more concise format, the tool's available here:
> >   http://www.maxlor.com/freebsd-scripts.shtml
>=20
> It seems anybody who does not like "make search" and is able to
> generate an alternative, does.  I did.  And so did[0] Matthew Seaman
> by having sysutils/p5-FreeBSD-Portindex in the ports system.  From the
> port's description file ...
>=20
>   cache-init, cache-update, find-updated and portindex are a set of
>   perl scripts built around the common core of the FreeBSD::Portindex
>   modules. Their use is to generate and maintain the ports INDEX or
>   INDEX-5 files speedily and efficiently. Ultimately they work in a
>   very similar way to the standard make index command, except that the
>   FreeBSD::Portindex tools keep a cache of the make describe output
>   from each port, and can update that cached data incrementally as the
>   ports tree itself is updated.
>=20
>   WWW: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/portindex/
>=20
>=20
> [0] I am not speaking on behalf of Matthew S, but making one
>     particular point.

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence.  Mind you,
p5-FreeBSD-Portindex doesn't do much to solve the OPs complaints about
'make search', as it is an alternative to 'make index'. The resulting
INDEX{,-5,-6} file (which is what 'make search' searches) should be
pretty much identical whether you run cache-update and portindex or
you use the standard 'make index'.

Hmmm.. looks like I need to update that page a bit, seeing as various
version numbers on there have been superceeded now.  One of these days
I might even get round to the semi-mythical Version 2.0.

    Cheers,

    Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip--