Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:43:43 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        Brent <brent@kearneys.ca>, David Weiss <weiss724@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing help

d e a t h wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 07:49:35PM -0800, Brent wrote:
> > This all assumes that Win2k can do NAT, translating the packets to the
> > real internet IP as they leave, then re-translating them back to the
> > internal IP on the way back in.
>
> >From what a friend of mine who keeps using Win2k even after all the
> annoying crashes he's been having, it seems that it can do NAT.  He
> managed to let both his Linux and FreeBSD boxes access `external' web
> and ftp services, using Win2k as the gateway.
>
> Now why one would have FreeBSD as a workstation and Win2k as a gateway
> is certainly not obvious to me.  But it works.

For a couple of reasons. First, if it works why switch. Second, the
wizard setup is far more intuitive than editing ppp.conf, ppp.linkup,
and ppp.linkdown. In W2K, you can share by clicking one spot in the
network properties, click OK! and your dialup connection is shared and
you didn't have to reboot. To do aliasing you have to use RRAS and NAT
and that again is far easier for the first time. There aren't as many
options and their documentation covers most cases. Once you have spent
a couple of days figuring out user-ppp, that isn't true because I can
set either up in about the same amount of time. If there is an edge
now that I know how, I think FreeBSD has it. I run user-ppp because it
is just a little bit faster dialing and some canned products were
timing out. I have added some scripts on the FreeBSD machine that use
pppctl to close the connection and redial. I also have aliases to tell
me the status and show the timers. My ISP shuts my connection down
after 8 hours. If I am on one of the Windows systems and need
contiguous connect time, I can telnet to FreeBSD, close the
connection, and have it re-dial. I then have 8 hours of connect time.
I can also see most of the information I want to see from all of the
systems and not from just the Windows server. If I want to see the
modem lights, I still have to walk into where the FreeBSD system is
setting :).

Cheers

Kent

> --
> Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> "What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html