Date:      Tue, 21 May 2019 15:13:30 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        vbox@freebsd.org, FreeBSD X11 <x11@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Accelerated graphics in vbox 6

--fxpS60jUvyLMaqqfDGzCI2aVyvPGu0JNp
From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
To: Johannes Lundberg <johalun@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: vbox@freebsd.org, FreeBSD X11 <x11@FreeBSD.org>

--jDv4VvGqQTcqEiKtKQ0u3zen3YJ4GhrH2

On 19. 5. 21., Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>=20
> On 5/21/19 11:46 AM, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
>> On 19. 5. 21., Johannes Lundberg wrote:
>>> Hi vbox folks! (cc: x11 list)
>>>
>>> According to this
>>> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=3Darticle&item=3Dvirtualbox-60=
-vmsvga&num=3D1
>>> vbox can now use the vmwgfx kernel driver for accelerated graphics. W=
ith
>>> that I assume that virtualbox's own drm driver project is scrapped.
>> Actually, they moved vboxvideo KMS/DRM driver to Linux kernel.
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tre=
e/drivers/gpu/drm/vboxvideo
>=20
> It's been there for quite some time and no progress have been made for
> the time I've been tracking it. Seems abandoned to me and my impression=

> is that that one is scrapped in favor of vmwgfx... Do anyone know if
> vboxvideo is suppose to be in working state (the one in linux kernel)?

It was added to staging for almost two years ago.  Please see the
original patch submission.

https://lwn.net/Articles/726355/

Recently they moved it out of staging (via merging drm-next-2019-05-09).

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit=
/?id=3D131abc56e1bacef23cb7b340519d36e2f5adb2a9

It means Linux 5.2 release will have it by default.

It doesn't look dead to me. ;-)

>> And DDX driver was moved to Xorg repository.
>>
>> https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-vbox
>>
>>> I've been working on porting vmwgfx from Linux to our linuxkpi. It wo=
rks
>>> pretty well with freebsd 13 as vmware guest on macos as long you're
>>> using only one vcpu (some race condition issue to be solved..).=C2=A0=
 It
>>> would be cool if we could get accelerated graphics in vbox, with free=
bsd
>>> as both host and guest since vmware can't run as host on freebsd.
>> Can you please port the vboxvideo driver to linuxkpi?
>=20
> vmwgfx seems like the better choice if it's used by both vmware and vbo=
> (v6+). But if it's suppose to be in a working state I can take a look..=

=2E..

AFAIK VirtualBox graphics stack is in a working state.

Jung-uk Kim