Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 05:48:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl

 * :  * do-configure:
 * :  * 		@ cd ${WRKSRC}; ${SETENV} ${MAKE_ENV} ${PREFIX}/bin/perl Makefile.PL
 * :
 * : I don't understand what HAS_PERL_CONFIG is supposed to do.  Do some
 * : perl packages come with this Makefile.PL file that is actually not a
 * : Makefile but is a configure script?
 *
 * Almost none of them come with Makefile.PL that isn't a config script.

Ok...but is it necessary to run it?  (The current perl ports don't run
it, right?)

Also, is it possible to just use the existing framework (CONFIGURE_*)
to do it?  (Taking a quick look at bsd.port.mk, I see a "./" in front
of ${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT}, that much at least has to be changed though.)

 * It doesn't detect perl5 existing all of the time.  At least that's my
 * experience.

Then I'm afraid there is something wrong with your system.  It's just
a simple "which" test so it should always be found or never found (if
you don't have /usr/local/bin in your path).

 * 		And *_DEPENDS make the whole build fail, rather than just
 * this port, at least that's how it appeared to be acting when I've been
 * building under OpenBSD.

There is nothing wrong with this.  If you do a top-down build without
"-k", and one of the ports fail to build, make is supposed to stop.

 * If I want to build the ports tree, but I don't care about any of the
 * P5-* ports for whatever reason, I'd like to be able to disable them
 * easily.

If you are going to build the whole ports tree, there are many ports
that (by itself) install much more junk than all the p5-* ports
combined. :)

Satoshi