Date:      21 Mar 1997 10:12:21 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        faried nawaz <fn@kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu>, Jason Fesler <jfesler@gigo.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0/user ppp lockups?

Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Does a manual SIGSEGV kill it ?  If so, can you tell me what the
> stack trace looks like ?  Also, is this on a direct connection
> (null-modem) or through a modem ?

When I had problems with ppp in the past, I compiled it debug and ran
it as normal, then connected a gdb to it using attach and left it.
If it freaked out, I could debug it properly with symbols.

I have been using mpd recently with some success.  I had a couple of
problems with it which I will try to feed back to the author this
weekend but it seems basically sound.  The code quality seems much
better than ppp but it does miss out on a couple of features (term,
packet filtering, aliasing).  If you need them, you can always use
ipfw, I guess.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761