Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2012 14:49:52 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Mario Fleischmann <mario@gurgelmail.com>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aesni module with AMD CPUs?

--IB2Qao3B4XdnqHmg

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 10:52:03AM +0100, Mario Fleischmann wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
> I hope you don't mind me writing to you directly, but I'm having a hard=
=20
> time finding information on Google.
You would get much higher chances of getting response if you post on the
public list Cc:ing corresponding developer. Since the question seemingly
not contain any sensitive information, and discussion may be useful to
the wider audience, I added appropriate ml to Cc:.

>=20
> I'm currently in the market for a new system, and I need AES-NI=20
> acceleration with FreeBSD 9.0. I'd like to buy an AMD-FX 4100 CPU, which=
=20
> supports the AES-NI instruction set.
Do you have a reference to the CPU datasheet or programming manual ?

>=20
> What I'd like to know is: Does the aesni driver in FreeBSD also support=
=20
> AMD CPUs? The man page explicitly states the driver is for Intel CPUs,=20
> but since the AES-NI instruction set is licensed by AMD, I think it=20
> should also work with those CPUs?
The aesni(4) driver attaches on any CPU that reports AESNI support through
the CPUID instruction. If amd implemented bit-to-bit compatible AESNI
instruction set and report the capability in CPUID, driver shall just work.

I never saw any bulldozer live, so this is the most I can answer to you.

>=20
>=20
> A reply would be greatly appreciated,
>=20