Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:37:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTPD start/restart

jacks@sage-american.com wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Guess. I'm having a senior moment, but I would like to stop the
> ftpd service (normally launched from inetd) and then restart with
> new parameters like:

If you are indeed running ftpd from inetd, then you'll need to edit
the appropriate line in /etc/inetd.conf, and restart inetd:

	kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

Note that there is NO ftpd daemon process to kill, because inetd
listens for connections, and simply forks an individual ftpd process
for each request.

There ARE other ftpds (ProFTPd, in the ports, comes to mind) that can
be run as a standalone daemon. (i.e., not from inetd). If you find
yourself in this boat now or later, then you WOULD want to do
something similar to what you outline below (the exact syntax will
vary):

> #/usr/libexec/ftpd -lS
>
> Would I stop with
> #kill HUP ftpd 	#then run the above to restart?
>
> I know, pretty basic....but...still unsure....

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon