Date:      4 Apr 1997 10:12:01 GMT
From:      "Nickolay N. Dudorov" <nnd@info.itfs.nsk.su>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Elf-Kit and dynamic loading

Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> wrote:
> According to Nickolay N. Dudorov:
> > 	And after that I discovered that 'file hello'
> > says:
> > 	hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD)
> >
> > and file 'hello' is 47761 bytes long.
> >
> > 	So, there is a question - is there any possibility to
> > build "dynamic ELF" program ?  My elf-gcc produce identical results
> > with and without '-static' flag.

> Are you sure you have the right naming for the libraries ?

	Yes - it turns out that because I build and install elf-libc
from (copy of) FreeBSD-2.2 sources there was no libc.so --> libc.so.3.0
link.  After I make all libXX.so --> libXX.so.M.N links my test
programs builds as dynamic.

	There is still some problems unsolved by me today:

 - If I build libmsun from RELENG_2_2 sources there is an error in
   file 'msun/i387/s_finite.S'. I blindly replace 'setnel  %al'
   with 'setne   %al'  (error message says - register does not
   match opcode suffix) and library successfuly builds ;-)
   but is this a right "fix" ?

 - I have not found the way to build g++ shared libraries
   (from GNU libg++-2.7.2 sources)

	So, I erased all my elf-related bins and libs in order
to make it all from scratch and write down all the steps and
problems I'll encounter in the way to 'make (almost) all
user-land libraries and binaries in ELF' ;-) The most serious
problem now is - where can I get another 16 hours in a day to
perform this very interesting but not very profitable experiment :-(

	N.Dudorov