Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   (jail) problem and a (possible) solution ?

A test server of mine running a number of jails keeps locking up - but the
odd thing about the lockup is that the userland stops, but the kernel
keeps running

(sockets can be opened, but the servers never respond on them, the machine
still responds to pings, but logs show that all real activity stops)

I just noticed today that some jails still have writable /dev/mem and
/dev/kmem and /dev/io nodes.  I think it is plausable that some kind of
fiddling (writing) to these nodes is causing this kind of lockup.

----

Is this assumption reasonable, or if some jail user fiddled with their
/dev/mem or /dev/kmem or /dev/io node would it just totally crash out the
machine and I _wouldn't_ still be able to ping the server after it crashes
?

thanks,

PT