Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:43:11 +0200
From:      Thomas Bader <thomas@t-bader.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to get a "german" console

* Thomas Bader <thomas@t-bader.ch> [000806 16:22]:
> What must I do to receive a german console, using FreeBSD
> 4.1-RELEASE?
>=20
> Instead of those umlauts I see just some ugly characters.

Now, after some suggestions I put this in my /etc/rc.conf:

  font8x8=3D"iso-8x8"
  font8x14=3D"iso-8x14"
  font8x16=3D"iso-8x16"
  scrnmap=3D"iso-8859-1_to_cp437"
  keymap=3D"swissgerman.iso"

But still it does not work.  Directly logged in on the
console, I can type umlauts, but I just see ugly chars
instead of the umlaut I typed.  I cannot see umlauts if I'm
viewing a text with less, reading mail using mutt etc. too.

Further, umlauts don't work using ssh or telnet.  I cannot
type them in (I just hear some sound beeping), but I see
them over ssh (if I'm viewing a text using less, reading
mail using mutt etc.).

I even did a fastboot.  Any hints?

Thomas
--=20
  .-.   Thomas Bader =B7 thomasb@trash.net.remove =B7 http://www.t-bader.ch=
/  .-.
  oo|                                                                     o=
o|
 /`'\     Einen Unix-Shellaccount gibt es unter http://www.trash.net/    /`=
'\
(\_;/)       PGP Key-ID: 0x3A4B7F5D (RSA)  0x7584F5D8 (DSA/EG)          (\_=
;/)