Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 21:50:28 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Small spaces

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 09:40:14PM -0500, Laurence Berland wrote:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.4 on an old 486 I've got lying around to
> use as a NATing firewall for my home network, but I've only got a 200
> Meg HD around.  I'm gonna go get another HD later, but right now I'd
> like to get running with just that.  So far I've been trying with 16 to
> swap and various other combinations, but it always seems to run out of
> /usr space.  I figure / should be at least 32MB, and the rest (~152MB)
> goes to /usr.  I'm trying to install the binaries, the docs, and the
> kernel source (but not the rest of the source).  Any idea if it's even
> possible?  Should I shrink down the root partition more?

  32 is pretty minimal, I think; / will use nearly all of that.  You
should try to see if you can trim what's in /usr a bit.  Have you made
sure to ditch the games, as well as X?  If you skip your kernel source
and do your compiles on another box (which I think you'd want to do
anyway!) you could ditch the kernel source, and then all the essential
binaries should be sure to fit into the remaining space of /usr.

  It should be doable; I had a very similar config (486-120, 16MB RAM,
240MB HD) running just a few months ago on OpenBSD 2.5, which is pretty
similar in size of essential binaries & data space.  Similar
application, too - home network firewall, in my case with IP filtering
for a DSL connection.  (After a bit it got to be too much of a pain, so
last month I bought the smallest new hard drive I could find; this
turned out to be about 4GB, and space is no longer an issue.)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
      The named which can be named is not the Eternal named.