Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Mete Balci <mete@eelab.itu.edu.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp and cdrom image

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Mete Balci wrote:

> I have some questions for distribution. I have started to download freebsd
> 3.2-current via ftp but it seems to be huge. I think it will be 2 CD.
> First, how do I have to split it to 2 CDs ? which dirs will going to first
> and which to second CD ? Second, I have seen there is an iso image file
> for rel. 4.0. So why is it just 1 CD ? I have experienced Linux for 3
> years at an administration level but no idea about freebsd. Which type of
> download could you recommend to me ?

I recommend you download FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, not FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT,
which is the developer's version and for experienced hackers only (see
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ7.html#7)

For instructions on how to install FreeBSD-STABLE, please see
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html. Note that 3.3 is coming out
in a few weeks, but there aren't likely to be many differences between the
current snapshot of 3.2-STABLE and 3.3-RELEASE (see
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ8.html#8 for why).

In general, be sure to always consult the FAQ, handbook, and mailing list
archives with your problems before posting to a mailing list - chances are
they have been answered (many times) before.

Thanks and good luck!
Kris