Date:      Tue, 16 Aug 2005 22:03:17 +0100
From:      Glyn Tebbutt <d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ath driver within 5.4-RELEASE

Michal Mertl wrote:
> Glyn Tebbutt wrote:

>>Andrew L. Gould wrote:

>>>The ath driver is available in 5.4 RELEASE; but is not compiled into
>>>the GENERIC kernel.  If my memory serves me correctly, people on this
>>>list have reported problems loading the kernel modules.  Therefore,
>>>you'll probably need to recompile the kernel with the following:
>>>
>>>	device ath
>>>	device ath_hal
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Andrew Gould

>>Thanks for your replies guys. Will this support 11g as I read something
>>about the wireless stack in 6.0 is different in some way compared to 5.4 ?
>>I tried to compile 6.0-BETA 2 with both device ath and device ath_hal
>>but the kernel compile died with undefined symbol error's, i've google
>>it but not found anything, any idea's guy's ?
>

> I don't know if 5.4 supports 11g but it I know it doesn't support too
> much advanced authentication mechanisms (WPA).
>
> I believe you need not only ath and ath_hal in the kernel config file
> but also wlan and some ath_rate module (one of ath_rate_onoe,
> ath_rate_amrr or ath_rate_sample). The recommended rate module is
> ath_rate_sample.
>
> Why do you compile the modules statically into the kernel? Modules
> should work too.
>
> Michal

My other cards on linux dont support WPA yet anyway so I'm using WEP atm
(yes I know its crappy and insecure:()
I'm new to freebsd so im not exactly sure how everything works yet, so
the kernel config builds all the stuff you need into the kernel but
modules for everything else is still compiled?
because on my 6.0-BETA 2 ath module doesn't exists :?
so in theory which module's do I need to load
Thanks again for replying

- --
|				              | Glyn Tebbutt |
| www: http://www.plasticmongoose.com			     |
| GPG: http://www.plasticmongoose.com/d3c3it/misc/d3c3it.gpg |
| Email: d3c3it-linux@ntlworld.com			     |
| "Damn you, vile woman! You've impeded my work since the    |
| day I escaped from your wretched womb. - Stewie Griffin    |