Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 22:02:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Status of -current

This is meant to be a correction of the status that I reported
earlier.  This bug was tricky, and this is only a partial fix
due to the recent conservatism.  The version of code that I am
running on my development machine has low level object locks
for better future SMP support, and in fact is needed for "correct"
UP operation also, but the code being committed tonight is only a
minimal fix for the problems that people have been running into recently.

Initially, it looked like the split code was at fault, and like
typical it seems that the problem travelled around in the system :-(.
There are about 6-7 ugly problems in the VM code that are serious enough
to cause crashes, but this only fixes a couple of them, and I will
not be committing the more intrusive, complete and more seriously
needed fixes until Saturday.  (I have the fixes running on my machine,
but again due to conservatism, the fixes will not be available for
a while.)  The worst of the minor bugs, ended up to be an edge
condition not directly in the split code, but for an associated
free operation on unneeded swap space.

So, be forewarned, there will be some serious improvements in the VM
code locking mechanisms coming in on Saturday or Sunday, and there might
(will) be some instability (but accompanied by significant improvements)
then.  The fixes being committed in a few minutes will only fix some
minor, but irritating problems (and the "netscape" under X problem.)