Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:15:31 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: openpty(8) helper app

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 01:00:07PM +0200, Mark Murray wrote:

> Generally speaking, this is a method that I like very much. Rather than
> making a family of utils insecure by making them setuid, focus the
> setuid-needs on the minimum secure setuid applet that you can and
> have the previously setuid family of apps call the new, focussed
> app.

Yes, this is actually something which Redhat does fairly well - small,
privileged helper applications to handle privileged tasks so that
binaries don't have to be run themselves with privilege. It's a
direction I'd like to go down as well.

> Modulo the man-pages, this looks very cool. The man pages need to
> be modernised a bit.

I'll pipe the manpage through a doc-boy prior to commit :-)

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--