Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 15:20:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, paul@FreeBSD.org, pete@sms.fi, davidg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Which SUP files are available and where ?

> Well, I don't expect that the "switch will be thrown" quite as neatly
> as some here might hope.  I'm more inclined to suspect that 2.1 will
> be followed by 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc.  2.2 will be released with its own
> experimental enhancements going on point releases of 2.2, etc.

I hope not. While there's an option to do *critical* patch updates
for a 2.1.1 it's not something we should be keen to do. I'd be really
pissed if people get the idea that there'll be a 2.1.1 that has some
of the bits that look OK out of the -current branch.

> The only serious question still to be resolved is just when the
> "rollover" happens?  Does 2.1.x live forever, or does it get abandoned
> with 2.2.x is "stable?"  Does 2.1 just become 2.3 at some point,
> leaving the odd numbered releases as the "stable" ones and the even
> numbered ones as "experimental?"  When does 2.2.x get abandoned in
> favor of 2.4 then?

2.1 should get abandoned immediately with the exception that a truly killer
bug that is so bad that people can't just work around it until the next release
may get fixed with a 2.1.1 update.

There should be a freeze date on 2.2 when no more experimental or major
changes are made and after a brief period, say a week or two to make sure it's
basically safe, it should move over to the stable branch. Once 2.1 is out that
experimental freeze should be quite soon, basically as soon as the current
major developments have been fixed. People can get straight on with
finishing other experimental code then while the 2.2 candidate gets a
prolonged period of bug squishing on the stable branch.

This is simply a more organised release cycle than we've previously
had with a pending release candidate having a prolonged period of
code freeze so all the little bugs can be shaken out while wild and
crazy development is not curtailed because of a code freeze..

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)