Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:59:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Randy Devol <randyd@rahul.net>
Cc:        picoBSD <small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: *BSD small effort

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Randy Devol wrote:

> At 10:14 PM 11/6/98 +0100, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> >
> >Better yet, don't port it but devise some other way to build the image so
> >that its components are easily changeable... This is IMO the biggest
> >disdavantage of picobsd for now.
>
> Do you mean configurable kernels without recompiling?  How is that
> different from LKM's?  (I know I don't want to invent/reinvent a scheme
> like LKM's.)

Ehm. No, not exactly... though ability to install only minimal kernel, and
then load necessary modules is also very important, and with the new KLD
is at last possible. But I meant that the set of user-level programs
should be easily modified, allowing to build them separately, and for
adding on one-by-one basis.

Some time ago I tried to make a floppy installation using shared libraries
and dynamically linked executables... Well, they just took too much space.

It may be different now, with ELF - want to check it?

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/