Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:08:37 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 12:52:37 +1300, Joerg Micheel wrote:
> Regarding the Barracuda ST150176LW ...
>
> I'd like to comment that the real problem with this drive is rather on
> the backup side. I'm using a DDS4 drive (40GB compressed, 20GB raw) and
> I get about 10GB / hour backup performance. Both the disk and the tape
> drive are on the same SCSI channel. The disk is almost full, lots of
> gzip'ed data on it. It took me an estimated 8 hours and 3 DDS4 tapes for
> the complete dump 0.

dump is notoriously slow.  I've got a number of systems that back up onto a
central AIT drive at work.  We're pushing close to 50G per night onto one
AIT tape (maximum we've gotten is 55GB on a 170m AIT-1 tape), and it takes
9.5-10 hours to do the backup.

The speed isn't limited by the network (switched 100BaseT) or the drive
(AIT drives can handle a good bit more than the 1.4MB/sec or so we're
throwing at it.)  The limiting factor is dump.

If a file-based backup is acceptable, you could probably get a lot better
performance by going through the filesystem.

> Time for LTO to show up.

What's LTO?

Ken
--