Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:47:54 -0500
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   BIND slave records not updating

I'm not a member of any bind list, so I was hoping to be able to ask my
question here. I have primary DNS with bind 9.2.4 on Linux servers where
there are web GUI's for management. I keep slave records on two FreeBSD
servers that serve as our ns1 and ns2, one is 6.1 with the bind port
bind9-9.3.3 and it works fine. The other is FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE with
bind9-base-9.3.4, not sure what the base difference is, can someone tell
me? This 5.4 server is not updating when changes are made to the
primary. I see in the logs on the primary that notifies are sent and the
9.3.3 server, which is at a different facility, updates within minutes,
the 5.4 machine on the local network does not. I can't find any bind log
information in /var/log/messages on the FreeBSD servers, where would
that be? I have to remove the '.bak' zone file and restart the bind
process, then it brings over the new zone file as it should re-creating
the '.bak' file. I checked the perms on all the files involved,
comparing to the 6.1 machine. The zone files all owned by the bind
process user.

zone "example.com" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/example.com.bak";
        masters { 10.0.0.48; };
        allow-query { 0.0.0.0/0; };
};
esmtp# ls -lah /var/named/etc/namedb/slave/tpghotels.com.bak
-rw-r--r--  1 bind  wheel   635B Feb 13 08:19 /var/named/etc/namedb/slave/example.com.bak

Again, this exact same setup on the other BSD server works perfectly.
The allow-transfer on the primary seems to be working fine since
deleting the zone file on the slave and restarting pulls the zone fine.
This is our workaround for now, but a pain.

Is there a problem with running the different bind9 versions? I can't
really do anything about the primary server considering we rely on yum
and recommended updates by the system repositories. So, should I keep my
slave BSD boxes on that same version 9.2.4?

Thanks in advance!

--
Robert