Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:19:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Bauer-Lee <sblee@eeyore.taz.tac.com>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bulding new versions

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Sue Bauer-Lee wrote:

> I appreciate all the responses but we're not getting my problems solved.

I'm not here to solve your problems; I'm merely interested in
seeing if the documentation has failed its purpose, specifically
the ports-related docs.  Of course, I hope I can be of help in
the process.  :-)

[I seem to have missed much of the conversation.  Please excuse
me if I trek over ground already covered]

> 1) I am unable to install autoconf. I shouldn't have to run sysinsyall for
>    one package. m4 is installed. by what method?

Is m4 listed in /var/db/pkg/?  (Or, alternatively, is it reported
by pkg_info(1)?).  What version?

Ultimately, the method you installed it by should make only minor
differences.  (The options generally are to use a package or to
build from the sources (as you did)).

>    make DISTDIR=/tmp install
>    Tried to install autoconf the same way. It can't find m4. Both were

Okay, did you build the port from a non-standard directory, ie.
something other than /usr/ports/.../?  There are some known bugs
with dependency registration in this case.  Did you see a message
saying something along the lines of "@pkgdep registration
incomplete"?  [Incidentally, it's generally perfectly okay to
build/install ports from something other than /usr/ports/, as I
often do myself].

>    manually retrieved from the site that fetch expected to be able to get
>    them from  - prep.mit.....

Are the distfiles for both ports in the same directory (I presume
this to be /tmp/)?

> 2) I am unable to build (independent from ports stuff) a newer version of
>    XFCE. Linux doesn't force me to use rpm, Solaris doesn't force me to use
>    pkgadd - you get the point.

FreeBSD doesn't force you to use pkg_add or the ports system.

The previous problems you mentioned (namely header files being
installed in alternate directories) may simply be the price that
must be paid for an otherwise superiour system.  These different
directories are probably needed to avoid conflicts with other
ports.  For example, tcl76 and tcl80 each must install their
headers into directories /usr/local/include/tcl76 and
/usr/local/include/tcl80 instead of /usr/local/include because
otherwise it is not possible to run many of the ports on the same
machine.

> I would like an easier alternative to adding packages to FreeBsd. It has
> taken quite some time to set up a productive env compared to previously

Taking away the problems you have run into, what do you need that
the ports system does not provide?

> mentioned OSs. Based on security testing needs, and desire, I'd like to
> not be convinced to replace FreeBSD with either Linux or Solaris x86 (both of
> which I also use everyday).

Yes, we'd like this, too.  :-)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk