Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 11:20:24 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: colorls question

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:08:23 EST, "Mark Einreinhof" wrote:

> I have colorls installed. I would like to just type "ls" or "dir" to get the
> equivalent of typing "colorls -G", or if I type "dir -al" I get
> "colorls -Gal" equivalent results.

I see you've had one reply to your question already, but it offers poor
advice as far as clean system administration is concerned.

The "pure" way to do this is to simply add the following line to your
.profile:

	alias ls='colorls -G'

It's best to leave your base system stuff alone. Also, it's not good
practice to force one user's preference down the throats of the others.
Even if you're the only user on your box, it's still a bad habit to get
into. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.