Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2011 06:18:06 +0000
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <perl@FreeBSD.org>, <skv@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   why fully versionned vendorlib vendorbin and vendorarch?

Hi,

I can't get why we used versionned vendorbin, vendorarch and vendorlib
with perl it seems to only provide us problems: need of
perl-after-upgrade, reinstallation of most p5- things after even a
simple 5.12.3 -> 5.12.4 upgrade?

why not follow what is done by default by the build system and use a
string (not versionned for those variable) like perl5_vendors or
something like that?

That would also allow user to upgrade from 5.12 to 5.14 almost
painless. if really changing from 5.12 to 5.14 can lead to majors
incompatibility problems (which I'm not convinced at all) we could use
perl5.12 but not including the minor version which still is not that
good to me but way better.

regards,
Bapt