Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 09:47:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Two physical interfaces, no subnets: possible?

Hi,

Is it possible to have two physical ethernet interfaces in a FreeBSD
machine and configure them, without needing to subnet?

I want to have a very specifc host hanging off one of the interfaces, and
have the rest of the network reachable off the other. I thought this would
be possible with something like

    ifconfig ed0 inet x.y.z.1 netmask 0xffffff00
    ifconfig ep0 inet x.y.z.2 netmask 0xffffff00

    route add host x.y.z.3 x.y.z.2
    route add net  x.y.z.0 x.y.z.1

which should, as far as I can tell, route everything for the single host
.3 via interface ep0, and route everything else destined for the network
via ed0.

It doesn't work. After ifconfiging ep0 as above it doesn't even appear in
the routing tables (as shown by netstat -r) and the route commands fail.

I can achieve this in a snap if I subnet. But I don't really want to split
the network in two.

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[              Unix wizardry practiced for fun and profit             ]=+--