Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:40:13 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r187132 - head/usr.bin/make

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 07:40:10AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20090202220628.GA76833@dragon.NUXI.org>, "David O'Brien" writes:
> I am disappointed.
> You of all people here should know better than making such a mess
> out of benchmarks.

Poul-Henning,
I fully know these results are not stringent.

Warner made a baseless 10% performance claim and used it as the
bases for a commit.

It took rounds of emails to get any detail from him, none of which
were the actual times, standard deviation, etc...  The only purpose
of my measurements were to see if I could reproduce anything close
to the claimed 10%.

> Second you totally bungle your data collection, by not eliminating
> cache-effects.

I would have accepted Warner's 10% if I had gotten that just once,
regardless if it was due to cache efforts or not.  It would have
backed up that, without totally cooking the runs, you could see a
10% time difference.

-- David