Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:05:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Errors in /var/log/messages after upgrade

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:37:02PM +0100, Andreas Wider=F8e Andersen wrote:
=20
> Is Apache trying to put a temporary file into /var/spool/mqueue without=
=20
> having the correct permissions to do so?

The error shown came from sendmail --- it would be highly irregular
for apache to attempt to write (let alone be able to write) into
/var/spool/mqueue.  That directory should be writable only by root.
=20
> I've noticed a new directory under /var/spool which is named=20
> /clientmqueue. What is this for?

That's for the new sendmail MSP (mail submission process).  It's the
sm-msp process that your web-mail scripts are interacting with if they
put new messages onto the queue by piping them into
/usr/sbin/sendmail.  The MSP process then passes them off to the
sm-mta (Mail Transport Agent) using ESMTP, generally to the sendmail
process listening on localhost port 587/tcp.  This separation of
functions allows the SUID bit on the sendmail binary to be dropped.

> Also, which Sendmail version was included in FreeBSD 4.5 and which is=20
> included in 4.7?

=46rom /usr/src/UPDATING:

20020411:
        New sendmail startup scripts have been installed to make it
        easier to use alternative MTAs with FreeBSD.  The rc.conf
        variable mta_start_script can be set to a script for starting
        an alternative MTA or to "" to prevent any MTA from being
        started at boot.

20020404:
        The sendmail startup code in /etc/rc has been changed to deal
        with a non-set-user-ID sendmail binary.  Setting the rc.conf
        variable sendmail_enable to "NO" no longer prevents any sendmail
        daemons from starting.  Instead, set sendmail_enable to "NONE"
        to prevent any MTA from being started at boot.

20020404:
        Due to the import of sendmail 8.12.2 (see 20020325 entry), a new
        user and group are required in order for sendmail to run as a
        set-group-ID binary.  A 'make installworld' will use the new user
        and group to set the owner and group of /var/spool/clientmqueue
        and will fail if the new user and group do not exist.  The 'smmsp'
        user and group must be merged from src/etc/group and
        src/etc/master.passwd before using 'make installworld'.
        'mergemaster -p' will do this.  You may need to install
        mergemaster before this will work if you are updating from a
        very old version of stable.  This can be done with:
        cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make all install

20020325:
        sendmail 8.12.2 has been imported.  The sendmail binary is no
        longer a set-user-ID root binary and the infrastructure to support
        command line mail submission has changed.  Be sure to run
        mergemaster (especially for updating /etc/rc, /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
        and /etc/mail) and read /etc/mail/README for more details.

This all occurred between 4.5-RELEASE (on 20020129) and 4.6-RELEASE
(on 20020615).  The sendmail version in 4.7-STABLE last time I did a
buildworld (about 5 days ago) was:

    % telnet localhost 25
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    Connected to localhost.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 smtp.infracaninophile.co.uk ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.6/8.12.6; Tue, 21 J=
an 2003 13:54:59 GMT
    quit

That's the same version as in 4.7-RELEASE according to cvs-web.  The
version in 4.5-RELEASE was sendmail-8.11.6 ---
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/sendmail/FREEBSD-upgrade

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20