Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:27:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        laotzu@juniper.net (Chris Parry)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BOCA-16 io boxes

Chris Parry writes:
| > What about Stallion? The drivers are in the tree.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > --
| > John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
| > CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137
| >

| Problem with stallion is that (at least from their web page) they don't
| sell anything greater than 8 port boxes, and we have many more machines
| I'd like to service from one FreeBSD term server instead of two.

Checkout the Comtrol stuff (www.comtrol.com).  We had serious trouble with
the quality of the BOCA product.  The first one worked fine and then the
second one was a bad as were the 3 replacements.  The RocketPort stuff
has an ISA or PCI card that connects to a box for the 16 ports.  We bought
the ISA version with the rackmount interface box.  I like it a lot since
it has activity LEDs for each port.  Nice for making sure stuff is happening
on the right port.  Drivers for FreeBSD are on the web site (or FTP) and
I think they are getting rolled into FreeBSD.  However for 2.2.5 I think I
had patch the kernel with the web site drivers.  It also goes up to 230K.

Doug A.