Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:59:11 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

>This is almost certainly bad advice.  If there's an exception, it
>would be nice to know the reasoning.

    Well, it wouldn't let me `disklabel -e` the disks in question, so I
wasn't able to create anything other than the "c" partition.  If you're
never going to fix it so that we can use the "c" partition with vinum,
then it would follow that the admin needs to be able to disklabel the
drive(s) in question so as to create a partition that can actually be
used with vinum.

    If the disk in question can be disklabelled and a filesystem created
on the partition to be used with vinum, then you should also be able to
use vinum on that partition to create subdisks, plexes, and volumes.  Right?

>There is :-) You're not the first person to ask for this.  It's in the
>-CURRENT version.  Just set the size of the subdisk to 0 and it will
>give you the largest chunk available on the disk.

    Yup, that's just what I was looking for.  Thanks!

>                                                   You still need to
>ensure that the sizes match for striped plexes.

    Matching size is something I had already figured out from previous
experience with volume management systems, including HP LVM, DEC LSM, Sun
OnlineDiskSuite, etc....

>                                                 Also in -CURRENT, if
>your plex size is not a multiple of the stripe size, Vinum will trim
>it for you.

    It will trim the plex size or the stripe size?  And is a stripe size
of 256-512KB still recommended for operations such as an anonymous ftp server?

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
   Usenet is not the web.  Just because the web handles some things
 poorly is not a good reason to apply those same techniques to Usenet.