Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:41:21 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   New ad*s* devices not automatically appearing in devfs

When I add a new slice or partition to a disk, the device files don't
automatically appear in /dev.  If I reboot, it shows up, but having to
reboot twice just to add a filesystem to a running disk is absurd.  How
do I make /dev automatically add these devices upon creation?  Failing
that, how do I force the system to notice the new device(s) and add them
to /dev?