Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2011 18:12:39 -0400
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        David Arendt <admin@prnet.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: options used to compile packages

> well I don't actually now which package it was, but I compiled gdm (so
> it should be one of it's dependencies). A compilation resulted in a non
> working gdm (something with pam support not found on execution). Upon
> installing gdm and is dependencies from packages, everything worked
> correctly. Therefore I thought there might be other default options. I
> am sorry that I cannot be more precise, but I tried it 2 months ago, so
> I do not remember exactly. I think I will try it again from scratch with
> latest ports tree and give you more precise information.

In addition to the obvious possibilities that your test was faulty, or
that you somehow polluted your build environment, It is also possible
that:

-at least one of your ports was a different version than used in the
default packages, and had a bug;

-there was a transient build error;

or

-you were using a different version of FreeBSD than that used to build
the default packages that you used, and there is a problem with one of
the ports on that version of FreeBSD.

b.