Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:55:48 +0800
From:      Xin LI <delphij@frontfree.net>
To:        astesin@ukrtelecom.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HA: [backtrace] kernel dump when shutting down

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 12:22:34PM +0300, astesin@ukrtelecom.net wrote:
> Hello Xin,
>=20
> > I got a strange problem when having HTT enabled on a P4 2.8E=20
> > processor. When rebooting the system, after the disk sync and=20
> > the system is going to restart, it crashes and generates a=20
> > crashdump. Strangely, the panic message seems to be corrupted.
>=20
> That's exactly what I'm seeing on P4 3.0E (yes, also `E') and Intel
> S875WP1-E motherboard
> ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s875wp1-e/tps.pdf , =
but
> it even doesn't do crashdump, just freeses. And not each time but maybe 3=
-4
> of 5 reboots. BTW running `halt' instead of reboot worked. Sorry I didn't
> had time this night to try a kernel with debugging.

Ah... Yes, I'm using Intel motherboard too, however, with a different
chipset.

Are you sure that the system is actually frozen? In my case, nothing
appeared in console, however, pressing Ctrl+C will reboot immediately,
which is the behavior when system is dumping core. In addition, I have
successfully obtained crashdump.

The backtrace itself seemed to be meaningless. I thought there might
be some locking problem within the shutdown code. I will do some
experiments after my competitive examination for bachelor's degree
tomorrow.

> > The system used to crash before sync'ing disks. It seems that=20
> > Nate's recent commit has removed that crash. More information=20
> > available upon request.
>=20
> Exactly. 5.2.1-R and -CURRENT of late May were also tested, they were
> crashing before syncing discs, 20040614 -CURRENT crashes (freeses) after
> syncing.
>=20
> People say that on older P4 CPUs (Northwood core) that do not have this
> problem, only on `E'-s (??? Strange enough).

Exactly. The P4 box at my lab does work correctly. Let's check the
developers' manual from Intel and we may find something useful :-)

Cheers,
--=20
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8--