Date:      Fri, 30 May 97 11:45:53
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "freebsd-chat@freebsd.org" <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, "Stephen McKay" <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Subject:   Re: IDE or Ultra SCSI

On Fri, 30 May 1997 22:07:35 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:

>On Friday, 30th May 1997, J Wunsch wrote:
>Is IDE (in theory) really as good?  I understood that only one outstanding
>command was possible with IDE, meaning only one disk could be active at
>a time, versus many simultaneous commands with SCSI.  Am I out of date?

>From my understanding IDE can do one command "per channel". So if you
have a CDrom and a HD if they are on different channels each can
process one command. Check http://sysdoc.pair.com (great hardware
technical info).

>So I have to keep telling myself what an investment in brain cells I have
>with SCSI, how it always works (well it does for me), and how every IDE
>system that I've tried to put 2 disks in, or take one drive out of, has
>been such a pain that I've given up.  Then I calculate my hourly rate into
>the equation...

I decided to stay with SCSI, but I am talking to the vendor to see if
they can get me plain SCSI (Adaptec 2940 instead of 2940U) and just
plain old SCSI-2 drives. If that vendor can't give me a competitive
price then I will have to do what I hoped I wouldn't have to do; get
the HD subsystem from one vendor, the rest of the system from another
and get my hands dirty installing the dam thing (I hate dealing with
hardware).