Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:33:07 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and SSD drives

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> Ignoring the TRIM issue for a moment . . .
>
> You're probably best off saving SSD storage for cases where you have lots
> of reads and little to no write activity, unless you enjoy buying new
> SSDs a lot.  Actually, let's not ignore TRIM; the work-around for lack of
> TRIM support on some drives is a "garbage collection" routine that
> exacerbates the problem of having to replace your SSDs more often if you
> do a lot of writes.
>
> I guess I would only use SSDs on servers in the same cases where I would
> let myself be talked into using MySQL -- cases where you just treat it
> pretty much like a read-only data store, and do not have to (safely) add
> or change data stored there most of the time.

Modern SSD's can do a *lot* of writes, wear-leveling and other tecniques
allow SSD's to be implemented for nearly any workload.  There's a great deal
of literature and facts on this topic if someone was motivated enough to
research it.  Some legends are better off fading away.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Same thing is sort of true with TRIM, on most modern drives lack of OS TRIM
support isn't the performance hit it used to be although still desirable.

--
Adam Vande More