Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:41:42 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, millert@direct.ca
Subject:   Re: URGENT MESSAGE about QMAIL Installation!

> I have been trying to install Qmail to my freebsd 2.2.6 release for some time
> I have tried installing the new port from the current release and tried
> downloading the 1.03 from qmail.org and nothing seems to work. I can only get
> the program to send mail out. I cant get popper to check the main that I can
> see.

popper looks for mail in /var/mail. In its stock configuration, Qmail doesn't
store mail in /var/mail. It can be made to store mail there, and there are a
variety of ways to make popper look elsewhere ($HOME/Mailbox) for mail. You can
patch it, or you can create symlinks to ~user/Mailbox from /var/mail/user for
every user. You can also use Maildir delivery, which the Qmail pop3 daemon
understands. Whatever you choose to do, you'll probably have to start by
reading the Qmail documentation and the various INSTALL files from the
distribution. You'll also probably have better luck posting this question to
the Qmail mailing list--it's not really a FreeBSD issue. There's a lot of good
stuff on www.qmail.org that'll help too.

> and I cant sendmail to the server remotely

I'm not sure what "cant sendmail to the server remotely" means, but I suspect
that it means that you haven't made the appropriate entry in /etc/inetd.conf to
run qmail-smtpd. Again, the documentation will tell you how to do this.

> and I cant send a message from a remote program through the server. When I
> had sendmail it worked fine but I found out that a security hole in it was
> active and now I want to switch to qmail.

You need to make a symlink to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail from /usr/sbin/sendmail
(and you'll have to restore this symlink after a make world). This step is in
the installation documentation.

Qmail is not a drop-in replacement for sendmail. If you just install the port,
or compile and install it from the sources and don't completely configure your
system to use Qmail, it's not going to work. It's not at all difficult to do,
and everything you need to do is very well documented, but you do have to do
it.

Chris Johnson