Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 07:23:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        (Bart Lateur) <bart.lateur@skynet.be>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Book recommendations (was: Re: Clear Screen Before Logout)

On 09-May-00 Bart Lateur wrote:
> On Mon, 8 May 2000 21:29:14 -0500, TymbrWlf wrote:
>
>>I bought "UNIX secrets" by James C. Armstrong, Jr. and it's been very
>>helpful (so was "UNIX for Dummies" ;-), but I freely admit I'm a UNIX
>>Dummy). (To Alan; "The Unix C Shell Field Guide" is next on the list.)

Eeek!  You should look up the net treatise on why you should *not* program
in the C shell.  A very interesting and entertaining read.

[snip]

> Well, you probably get the gist. I want a blend of a tutorial, a
> cookbook, and a reference manual (WHY you need to do things a certain
> way).
>
> Any recommendations? Does any of the cited titles come close? And are
> there (Free)BSD specific things, i.e. differences with other Unices,
> that I should be aware of?

"Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by W. Richard Stevens
(Addison-Wesley).  If there's any book that could rightly be called the
Unix programmer's bible, it's got to be this one.  Very thorough, very
clear, very well organized.

If only all books were this good.

--
Conrad Sabatier